Maximum Efficiency and Comfort Tips as Cold Weather Approaches
After a long, hot summer, many people welcome the relief that fall weather brings. Kids are back in school, football season is here and most of us are finishing projects around the house that kept getting put off until cooler weather.
This also is the time to start thinking about what can be done to help make our homes the most efficient in order to keep utility bills down during the winter months. Here are a few tips from AL-DON Indoor Air Quality Specialists to consider in order to get the most efficiency out of your home’s heating system.
- Caulk and weather strip around doors, windows, chimneys, flues and anywhere else inside that warmth can escape.
- If you are considering new windows, invest in vinyl or wood-clad insulates styles.
- Set the thermostat at the lowest comfortable level, as a change in one degree can change energy consumption by about 4%.
- Filters need to be regularly checked and replaced when needed.
- Never block vents with furniture, pictures, or window coverings as this will make your system work harder and use more energy to heat your home.
- Consider a zoning system if your home has multiple stories or is large, this will save money and energy.
- Use kitchen, bath and other ventilating fans wisely; in just one hour, these fans can pull out a house full of warmed or cooled air. Turn fans off as soon as they have done their job.
- Close and unoccupied room that is isolated from the rest of the house such as in a corner and turn down the thermostat or turn off the heating of that room or zone. Do not, however, turn the heating off if it adversely affects thereat of your system.
- Keep draperies and shades open on south-facing windows during the health season to allow sunlight to enter your home; close them at night to reduce the chill you may feel from cold windows.
If you would like to schedule a maintenance or service appointment, call us at 314-567-5585 or request service online today. We provide service to Creve Coeur, St. Louis, Kirkwood, Frontenac, and the surrounding MO communities.
Contact the experts!
Need HVAC Service?
Contact the experts at AL-DON Indoor Air Quality Specialists.
Call us at 314-567-5585!